Absolute Beginner’s Series VWD VB (Visual Web Developer Visual Basic) is a collection of fourteen lessons created by MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network). The course provides an introduction to Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, and is oriented to people interested in designing and building ASP.NET Web sites. The following are the lessons’ titles:
Lesson 1: Getting Started.
Lesson 2: Creating a User Interface.
Lesson 3: Events and Postback.
Lesson 4: Web Application State.
Lesson 5: Debugging and Tracing.
Lesson 6: Style sheets and Master Pages.
Lesson 7: Databinding.
Lesson 8: GridView and FormView Controls.
Lesson 9: Membership and Login Controls.
Lesson 10: Configuring, Building and Deploying.
Lessons 11 to 14: Building a Quiz engine.
You can either take these lessons on-line from the MSDN web page, or you can download them to your computer, so you don’t need to be connected during your study time.
The purpose of Lesson 11, “Building a Quiz engine 1”, is to begin developing a quiz engine explaining the process involved. Over the next lessons the project will be completed. When you download and install this lesson, one new folder and one new subfolder will be created. The main folder with the name “Absolute Beginner’s Series VWD VB Lesson 11” will contain the following three files:
1. “11 VWD VB Lesson.wmv”, a 22 minutes Windows Media Video file with the lesson itself;
2. “11 VWD VB Lesson Transcript”, a 9 pages Microsoft Word document with the video transcription;
3. “EULA.ftr”, a Rich Text Format document containing license information;
The subfolder named “11 VWD VB Code” will contain some auxiliary files needed to execute the practice and build the application.
In order to give an idea of the structure and content of the lesson, the video starts showing the subjects and main goals to be achieved by the students. These are:
• In this video – our development process.
• In the next videos – snapshots of our development progress.
• Our process, a very scaled down version of the Microsoft Solution Framework (MSF):
o Envision your solution.
o Plan how you’ll build it.
o Develop the application.
o Testing and debugging.
o Deploying the solution.
The lesson video shows the computer screen at the time that the instructor explain what he is doing, this way it’s much easier to understand the actions being performed. This lesson is available for free for anyone who’s eager to learn but there’s a prerequisites: Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition, another lesson available at MSDN web page.
- The concepts to learn are listed at the beginning of the lesson
- The lesson in video format is very helpful to see what the instructor is explaining
- The code to build the quiz engine is provided and explained
- Lesson available in English only
- The lesson’s file is large to download
- Since the building process is too long, the video covers only some snapshots of it